I am not a big fan of spicy, but knowing there are a lot of people who are I looked for a recipe that would make anyone happy. I found this one pot recipe from budget bytes and am so in love. The spice is not overbearing, but there enough to notice the flavour it adds. To switch things up I used Garofola Cappelletti pasta in place of the penne. Best substitute ever. The curly cappelletti noodle catches more of the sauce in itself, and the shape’s texture is unlike any other pasta I’ve had. You’re Welcome.
You may be skeptical at the cream cheese included in the recipe. Don’t be. The pasta was delicious before I added the cream cheese, but after it was added it felt more complete. It does it’s job at rounding out the spices as well as making a smoother sauce. If you still decide to skip that step in favour of more traditional methods, a splash of cream works too.
- If you use frozen chicken breast don’t thaw it all the way through; Partially frozen chicken is a lot less slippery on the cutting board when you’re slicing 🙂
- I made my chicken broth by dissolving chicken bouillon cubes in hot water. It ends up being a cheaper option than buying ready made broth for the same end result.
- Do not overcook the pasta! Because it’s a one pot dish, you won’t be removing the pasta from water and then incorporating it into sauce. Make sure once the Cappelletti cooked the way you want it, you turn the stove’s temperature to the lowest setting. With this style of noodle if they are overdone they begin to lose their shape.
- Play with the spices. Everyone has a different spice tolerance. You know your taste buds, so add the extra spoonful of cajun mix if you want!
- 1 cooking onion
- 1 bunch green onions
- Red Russian Garlic (optional)
- Fresh Chicken Breast (Fraser Valley Specialty Poultry)
- Cream Cheese (Philadelphia or Island Farms)
- Olive Oil (large selection in Aisle 1A)
- Cappelletti Pasta (Garofalo in Aisle 1 B)
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (398 ml) (Italissima in Aisle 1B)
- Chicken Broth (Selection in Aisle 2A)
- Smoked Paprika (Pride of Szeged OR Nature’s Choice in Aisle 4)
- Oregano (Krinos OR Nature’s Choice in Aisle 4)
- Thyme (Nature’s Choice in Aisle 4)
- Garlic Powder (Nature’s Choice in Aisle 4)
- Onion Powder (Nature’s Choice in Aisle 4)
- Cayenne Pepper (Nature’s Choice in Aisle 4)
- Black Pepper (aisle 4)
- Salt (aisle 4)
One Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
2 tsp smoked Paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 lb. penne pasta OR Garofalo Cappelletti Pasta
15 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cups (2 oz.) cream cheese
3 green onions, sliced
Combine the ingredients for the Cajun seasoning in a small bowl. Cut the chicken into 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubes. Place the cubed chicken in a bowl, pour the Cajun seasoning over top, and stir to coat the chicken in spices.
Add the olive oil and butter to a large deep skillet. Heat the oil and butter over medium-high until the skillet is very hot and the butter is melted and foamy. Add the seasoned chicken to the skillet and cook for a couple minutes on each side, or just until the outside gets some color. The chicken does not need to be cooked through at this point.
Add the diced yellow onion to the skillet and continue to sauté for about 2 minutes more, or just until the onion begins to soften. Allow the moisture from the onion to dissolve any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
Next, add the pasta, fire roasted diced tomatoes (with the juices), and chicken broth to the skillet. Stir just until everything is evenly combined, then place a lid on top and allow the broth to come up to a boil.
Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and let the pasta simmer for about ten minutes, stirring every couple of minutes, until the pasta is tender and the liquid is thick and saucy.
Add the cream cheese to the skillet in chunks, then stir until it has melted into the sauce. Top the pasta with sliced green onions and serve.