This Peach Whiskey Chicken from Food Network is a summer winner. Stuck in a chicken rut? Fresh peaches and peach preserves combine to make this sticky sweet and savory chicken something a little different. They pair it with mashed potatoes….I went rice, but either way, this is one to try for peach season!
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
12 chicken legs or thighs, bone in, skin on
1 yellow onion, diced
1 ½ cups whisky
4 cups barbecue sauce
1 cup peach preserves
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 peaches, pitted and sliced into 8 slices each
Mashed potatoes, for serving
3 green onions, sliced thin for serving
Chopped fresh parsley, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
3. Add the onions to the skillet and stir and cook over medium heat until translucent, about 3 minutes. Pour in the whisky, taking care if you are cooking over an open flame. Cook for 3 minutes or so, allowing the whisky to cook and reduce.
4. Grab your favorite bottled barbecue sauce and pour it into the pan. Add the peach preserves, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup water to the sauce, then whisk to combine. Add the chicken back to the pan. Then throw in the peaches.
5. Cover the skillet with a lid or aluminium foil, and then roast in the oven until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone, the sauce is beautiful and rich, and the peaches are soft (about 1 1/2 hours). That’s how you know it’s done!
6. Serve the chicken over a big mound of mashed potatoes, spooning the sauce over the whole thing. Sprinkle with green onions and parsley, then watch your loved ones gobble it up.